Associate Professor of Education, Campus Teaching & Learning Coordinator, Programme Coordinator
Phone: +971 4 3693964
- PhD in Educational Research, Lancaster University, UK
- MEd (Distinction) Adult Education and Training, Wollongong University, Australia
- RSA Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults (DELTA), Cambridge, UK
- BA (Hons) in English and History, Leeds University, UK
Currently teaching Pedagogy and Current Issues in Education; Educational Research Methods; and supervising MA Education dissertations.
Transnational Higher Education; academic work practices; academic identities; academic development; conceptions of learning and teaching.
Awards and achievements
- Teaching-Research Nexus Award, Wollongong University Dubai, 2006
Membership of professional bodies and associations
- Society for Research in Higher Education, UK
- Selected Publications
- Smith, L. (2009). Sinking in the sand? Academic work in an offshore campus of an Australian university, Higher Education Research and Development, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 467-479.
- Smith, L. (2007) ‘One size fits all? Faculty professional development workshops in a multicultural context’, in Learning and Teaching Across Cultures in Higher Education, eds. D. Palfreyman and D. McBride, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, pp. 158-176.
Smith, L. (2006). ‘Teachers’ conceptions of teaching at a Gulf university: A starting point for revising a teacher development program’. Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: Gulf Perspectives. Vol.3, No.1. Available:http://www.zu.ac.ae/lthe/vol3no1/lthe03_01_02.html